Don’t forget the deadline to appeal your property tax in Fulton County is today, July 6th!
If you disagree with the Current Year Value on your 2018 assessment notice, you may file an appeal. If you wish to appeal, you must do so before the appeal deadline date printed on your notice.
Click here to appeal online.
Here’s what you need to know and what you can do:
- Your assessment is viewable online at the county tax assessors website:
- The assessment is not a bill, but a reflection of your property’s assessed value and an estimation of the property tax amount.
- The important first step is to make sure that you file your written appeal within the deadline set by your county.
- The deadline for your county is 45 days from the Notice Date and is listed in the shaded area at the top right corner of the notice.
- Your appeal letter can be a detailed argument as to why the value placed on it by the assessor is too high or it can be as simple as arguing that “the value you placed on my property is too high”. The letter needs to be mailed, certified return receipt requested, or hand delivered to the assessor’s office listed on the notice. If you hand deliver the letter, please bring a second copy and have the clerk stamp it “received” so that you will have a record of your letter being received.
- In your letter, you have a choice of appealing to the Board of Equalization or Arbitration. Most property owners pick the former and when you attend one of our sessions on appealing your taxes, we will explain the difference between the two approaches.
- We encourage you to consider an appeal if your home’s Fair Market Value is higher than expected.
- All instructions are listed on your assessment and the appeal process is explained online as well:
FREEZE FOR SENIOR CITIZENS
To be eligible for this exemption, you must meet the following requirements:
• Must be a legal resident age 65 or older on or before January 1.
• The applicant’s and spouse’s combined Federal Adjusted Gross Income for the preceding taxable year cannot exceed $39,000
• Applies to Atlanta Operating, Atlanta Bond and Atlanta parks, Fulton Operating and Fulton Bonds. This Tax Relief Program freezes the value of your residential property based on the previous year’s value. Your frozen value will remain the property’s value as long as the eligible senior occupies the residence.